Tuesday, April 6, 2010

New Doctor Who Titles!!

With only eleven days to go until the Canadian Debut of the Eleventh Doctor, I'm embedding the new title sequence to Doctor Who below:




What do you think? Personally, I like the new graphics, and the titles themselves are good, but I am not digging the remixed theme. It wanders a bit too far off the original for my tastes. The theme as it first appeared way back in 1963 remains one of the most evocative and innovative themes ever; you know in seconds what you're watching and what the tone is. This new one sounds a bit too ordinary. Still, it's got me eagerly awaiting the upcoming premiere!

8 million people in the UK watched the premiere of Series 5, which is a pretty frickin' huge number. Reaction in the press has been pretty rapturous for new Doctor Matt Smith and new showrunner Steven Moffat. The Telegraph gave the casting director and Smith an A+ rating, while The Mail says Smith might turn out to be one of the best Time Lords of the lot.

For those who can't resist some spoilerage, here's a fun further clip so you can get a better idea of what the Eleventh Doctor will be like:

1 comment:

Timelords said...

I'm with you on the remixed theme. Deviates to much from the original, and is pretty bland. Also feel the same about the opening. They could do far better. The TARDIS graphic looks like I'm watching a sequence in a bad computer game. Titles are ok though. But still feel like they're trying to market to the tween demographic with it.
Also can't say I loved Matt Smith in that scene, but not going to judge him on such a short clip. I've seen him in other previews, and liked him better in those.