Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"The Dark Knight" comes out, sets record, for, well, everything...



The Dark Knight opened last Friday, and not only was almost universally praised as a great film, but also took the top spot at the box office, earning $158 million, making it the largest opening for a film ever. It is also believed that it may cure cancer, but let's wait until all the facts are in.




I saw it Friday night, and even though some of my more jaded friends told me it was overrated, I believe it to be the best film I've seen this year. Heath Ledger's performance is truly amazing. Seriously. It's a jaw-droppingly good job. It's the kind of performance, that were he still alive, would have totally redefined his career and instantly would have kicked him into the top five actors of his generation. I'm not exagerating. He steals the show, your seat, your popcorn, and perhaps your car in the theatre parking lot. I always thought he was a fine actor, certainly gifted, but this is so beyond that.




In related news, Christian Bale was arrested by Scotland Yard today for alledgedly assualting both his mother and his sister. Apparently, the assault took place at London's Dorset Hotel. The police released Bale on bail (ha ha!) as he was not a flight risk. You can read an article here.




No comments: