Saturday, January 31, 2009

Final Confusion


So, DC's Final Crisis event mini-series came to a close this week with Final Crisis #7. I've now read seven issues, plus a prologue and around ten or so tie-in issues and miniseries.

I have no idea what went on.

I usually love Grant Morrison's writing. Sure, he's often times bizarre and his concepts can render his stories almost incomprehensible, but he also wrote one of the tightest, most exciting and most straight ahead comic book runs ever; his JLA run. So I'd seen him rein in his weirdo style before, or at least apply to a story that wasn't so avant garde as to make your nose bleed. All Star Superman was like that, and it was one of the best superhero series I've read in the last decade.

Now, I've read DC comics all my life, and I like to think that I've got a pretty good knowledge of its history and continuity, but somewhere between Tawky Tawny, Sonny Sumo, all the Monitors who all look the same, new New Gods and.......jesus, it's tiring just writing it. The scenes were more like summaries and snapshots rather than scenes, and I would be hard-pressed to tell you how things ended or what things meant.

Maybe I'll read it again and get more out of it. Right now, I'm just confused.

No comments: