Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sci-Fi Tech That Will Kill Us All (5)



It's been a really long time since I last posted one of these, and I've missed it. So, I'm bringing this feature back, and in a big way, with a piece of tech that makes me want to call Michael Biehn and Christian Bale, and even that lame kid John Connor from the Terminator TV show.

Here's a description of the device in a Wired article:

It's called the Autonomous Rotorcraft Sniper System. It mounts a powerful rifle onto highly stabilized turret, and fixes the package on board a Vigilante unmanned helicopter.

Yeah, that's a robot sniper. A frakkin' robot sniper. In case you don't see the terrifying possibilites, allow me to show what our future robotic overlords will eventually develop this charmingly simple technology into.

Here's some more on what this baby can do:

The system is intended for the urban battlefield — an eye in the sky that can stare down concrete canyons, and blink out targets with extreme precision. Attempting to return fire against the ARSS is liable to be a near-suicidal act: ARSS is described as being able to fire seven to 10 aimed shots per minute, and it's unlikely to miss.

Now I know what you're thinking, firstly, do they really want to call it ARSS? Arse? Really. I guess when you can immediately deliver a head shot to any asshole who makes fun of your name from two miles away, you can handle a name that is literally ass. On a side note, I'm drawing my blinds right now.

The US Army: leaders in finding new ways to kill people without getting any of their own guys killed. Oh, and handing over the world to Skynet.

No comments: